Skip to Main Content

Request for Committee Action

Grant applications for Minnesota Department of Transportation Metro District 2020 federal Highway Safety Improvement Program funds (RCA-2020-00448)

ORIGINATING DEPARTMENT
Public Works Department
To Committee(s)
# Committee Name Meeting Date
1 Policy & Government Oversight Committee May 6, 2020
Lead Staff:
Ryan Anderson, Senior Professional Engineer, Traffic & Parking Services
Presented By:
Ryan Anderson, Senior Professional Engineer, Traffic & Parking Services
Action Item(s)
# File Type Subcategory Item Description
1 Action Grant

Authorizing the submittal of a series of grant applications to the Minnesota Department of Transportation Metro District for the 2020 solicitation for federal Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds.

Ward / Neighborhood / Address
# Ward Neighborhood Address
1. All Wards
Background Analysis

The Public Works Department will prepare a series of applications for the 2020 MnDOT Metro District Solicitation for Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds. The applications Public Works is submitting target intersection safety improvements as the majority of crashes in Minneapolis occur at intersections.Through this solicitation, the Metro District will program up to approximately $23 million for State Fiscal Years 2024 and 2025. The objective of the program is to identify, implement, and evaluate cost-effective construction safety projects with a primary goal of reducing fatal and serious injury crashes on all public roads. The grants are passed through the state of Minnesota and a commitment of local funds is required to provide a match for federal funding. The federal funding covers 90% of the project costs with the remaining 10% coming from local match funding. The source of the local match funding is within TR022 (Traffic Safety Improvements) as appropriated in the current CIP Budget. 

Applications are grouped into two categories, reactive and proactive, which have different scoring criteria. Reactive projects install safety measures to target locations that exhibit a high crash history whereas proactive projects install safety measures at locations without a significant crash history to prevent future crashes. Public Works staff is evaluating the crash histories at the proposed locations and will select the category which will be most competitive for each application.

Past Minneapolis HSIP projects focused on reducing right angle crashes by installing overhead traffic signals which increase signal visibility. These projects have shown an 80% reduction in right angle crashes and a 30% reduction in all other crash types. HSIP projects strive to meet the crash reduction goals of the Vision Zero policy adopted by the City Council in 2017.

Based on the findings of the 2017 Pedestrian Crash Study, the 2018 Vision Zero Crash Study, and the 2019 Minneapolis/Hennepin County Pedestrian Crossing Study, Public Works identified five applications for the 2020 solicitation. Within the identified corridors, the proposed projects focus on intersections which are where most crashes occur. The traffic signals selected as part of the proposed applications were identified as locations with the greatest potential for crash reduction, based on some or all approaches lacking overhead traffic signals and an identified need for improved pedestrian accommodations. The project scope includes completely rebuilding the signal system which will include ADA compliant curb ramps, countdown pedestrian signals, and Accessible Pedestrian Signals (APS). Curb extensions will be installed where feasible.

The City is recommending the submittal of up to five applications, which are summarized in the table below. Individual intersections within each application are shown on the attached map, along with other planned traffic signal reconstruction projects for reference.

Project Name

Requested Federal Amount

Minimum Local Match Required

Total

A. Lyndale Avenue N

$1,260,000

$140,000

$1,400,000

B. Lasalle Avenue and Nicollet Avenue

$1,800,000

$200,000

$2,000,000

C. 26th St W and 28th St W

$1,620,000

$180,000

$1,800,000

D. Broadway Street NE

$1,080,000

$120,000

$1,200,000

E. City/County Crossing Study Locations

$1,080,000

$120,000

$1,200,000

Totals

$7,380,000

$820,000

$8,200,000

FISCAL NOTE
  • No fiscal impact anticipated