The purpose of the Asphalt Pavement Resurfacing Program is to extend the life of city streets which are not scheduled for seal coating, renovation or reconstruction in the foreseeable future. This resurfacing program is targeting neighborhoods and Minnesota State Aid (MSA) streets that are at a point in their life cycle where a new surface will extend the street’s life, improve ride quality, neighborhood livability and help slow the overall deterioration of our City street system. The 2018 Resurfacing Program Project No 2299 (CPV1856) is identified in the 20 year Streets Funding Plan and was included in the 2018-2022 Capital Improvement Program.
The purpose of this letter is to designate the location, streets and improvements, and establish the special assessment improvement proceedings for street resurfacing.
1. Nokomis Area Residential is bounded by E Minnehaha Pkwy on the north, 40th Av S on the east, 54th St E on the south and 34th Av S on the west and are local city streets. This area was last paved in 1985.
2. Plymouth Av N from Penn Av N to Lyndale Av N is an MSA Street. Plymouth Av N from Penn Av N to Humboldt Av N was last paved in 1974 and from Humboldt Av N to Lyndale Av N was last paved in 1981.
3. Jordan West Area is bounded by Lowry Av N on the north, Penn Av N on the east, 26th Av N on the south and Theodore Wirth Parkway on the west and are local city streets. This area was last paved in 1979. Willard South Area is bounded by 26th Av N on the north, Penn Av N, W Broadway and James Av N on the east, Golden Valley Rd on the south and Xerxes Av N and Theodore Wirth Pkwy on the west and are local city streets. This area was last paved in 1977. Some of the streets within these project boundaries will have the resurfacing delayed until 2019 due to their use as detour routes during construction phasing of the Penn Ave Bus Rapid Transit Line (see map for detail).
4. Irving Av N from Lowry Av N to 36th Av N, 36th Av N from Irving Av N to Humboldt Av N and Humboldt Av N from approximately 280 feet north of 36th Av N to Dowling Av N. These are local city streets and were last paved in 1978.
5. Lyndale Av N from Webber Pkwy to 49th Av N is an MSA street and was last paved in 1982-83, except from 48th Av N to 49th Av N was paved in 1921 and overlaid in 1977.
6. 24th St W from Hennepin Av to Nicollet Av was last paved in 1971 and 24th St E from Nicollet Av to 3rd Av S was las paved in 1978. Both street segments are MSA streets.
7. Emerson Av N from Plymouth Av N to W Broadway is an MSA street and was last paved in 1983.
8. Lyndale Area Residential is bounded by Lake St W on the north, Stevens Av on the east, 36th St E on the south and Lyndale Av S on the west, is local city streets and was last paved in 1976. Whittier South Area Residential is bounded by 26th St W on the north, I-35W on the east, Lake St W on the south and Lyndale Av S on the west, is local city streets and was last paved in 1983.
9. 40th St W is from Kings Highway to Lyndale Av S was last paved in 1980. 40th St W from Kings Hwy to Bryant Av S is a local city street and from Bryant Av S to Lyndale Av S is an MSA street.
10. Armatage South Area Residential is bounded by 58th St W on the north, Penn Av S on the east, Highway 62 on the south and Xerxes Av S on the west are local city streets. This area was last paved in 1987.
11. 5th St NE is from Hennepin Av E to Broadway St NE. 5th St NE from Hennepin Av E to 8th Av NE is an MSA street and from 8th Av NE to 9th Av NE is a local city street. Various segments of 5th St NE were paved in 1939, 1965 and 1990. Spring St NE from Harrison St NE to Polk St NE is a local city street and was last paved in 1985.
12. 37th Av NE is from Main St NE to 5th St NE is an MSA street that was last paved in 1981. This street will be resurfaced in cooperation with the City of Columbia Heights.
As provided in Article IX, Section 9.6(c) of the City Charter, a list of parcels with owner's names, as nearly as can be readily ascertained, which would be benefited by and assessed for the 2018 Resurfading Program project streets is on file with the Public Works Special Assessment Office.
Also submitted is a cost estimate of $8,371,075 for this year's resurfacing program streets.
The street resurfacing special assessments would be determined by applying the 2018 Uniform Assessment Rates to the land area of benefited parcels located within the street influence zone along the improved streets. The approved 2018 rates are:
$0.65/sq. ft. - Non-residential $0.22/sq. ft. - Residential