Members: Council Members Andrea Jenkins (Chair), Phillipe Cunningham (Vice-Chair), Kevin Reich, Cam Gordon, Steve Fletcher, Jeremiah Ellison, Abdi Warsame, Lisa Goodman, Alondra Cano, Lisa Bender, Jeremy Schroeder, Andrew Johnson, and Linea Palmisano (Quorum: 7)
Clerk: Ken Dahler, (612) 673-2216
Receiving and filing an update on emergency navigation centers and efforts being made across the enterprise to assist homeless residents of the encampment near the intersection of Hiawatha and Cedar Aves.
Directing staff to:
1. Continue to work with a coalition formed in partnership with representatives from the Minnesota Interagency Council on Homelessness, Hennepin County and community partners including Minneapolis Urban Indian Directors, on the City owned lot located at
1860 28th Street and 2717 Longfellow Avenue 2600 Minnehaha Avenue as the site for a Navigation Center to serve persons transitioning out of the current encampment. This work should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Project management services that will make the site ready for occupancy before October 31, 2018, with a date mutually agreed upon by funding partners.
- Work with the Finance Officer to prepare a finance plan for both capital and operating costs, with a clear delineation of costs to be borne by the City and costs to be borne by other partners
- Work with Hennepin County, non-profit service organizations, and outreach workers to design and implement the operations and services needs of the Navigation Center. This includes developing and implementing admission and use policy, case management systems, service plan development and delivery, security, and center staffing. The County, non-profit service providers, and outreach workers will lead the planning and implementation efforts of this work with support from the City.
- Determination of a property manager
- Determination of navigation services providers and outreach workers
- Plans to mitigate off-site impacts of the Navigation Center on nearby properties
- An implementation plan with a sunset date.
2. Return to the Housing Policy and Development Committee by September 26, 2018, with a plan for the Navigation Center that includes all of the above information, for consideration and potential adoption by the City Council.
3. Participate in an ongoing joint task force with the coalition above and other organizations that serve unsheltered populations to define long-term strategies, including regular reports to the City Council, on:
- Ongoing resources for unsheltered populations;
- Recommendations for interagency coordination related to future encampments;
- Supports needed to address social service needs and outreach worker support in unsheltered populations of future encampments; and
- Related budget needs from the City, County, State, and private sources.
A portion of this meeting may be closed to the public pursuant to MN Statutes Section 13D.03 or 13D.05.
Actions referred to Council:
Sep 21, 2018
Next Committee meeting:
Oct 3, 2018
For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats please contact the City Clerk's Office at 612-673-2216 or e-mail
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.