Members: Council Members Linea Palmisano (Chair), Jason Chavez (Vice-Chair), Elliott Payne, Robin Wonsley Worlobah, Michael Rainville, LaTrisha Vetaw, Jeremiah Ellison, Jamal Osman, Lisa Goodman, Andrea Jenkins, Aisha Chughtai, Emily Koski, and Andrew Johnson (Quorum: 7)
Clerk: Rachel Blanford, (612) 673-2216
Receiving and filing a report relating to the City and County's joint strategy for responding to homelessness in the City of Minneapolis.
Government Structure Subcommittee
Receiving and filing an update from Mayor Frey on his executive reorganization proposal as part of the new voter-approved government restructure pursuant to Charter Amendment No. 184.
Receiving and filing a report with recommendations for the establishment of a legislative department pursuant to Charter Amendment No. 184 (Executive Mayor-Legislative Council structure).
Directing staff in the Office of Performance and Innovation in the City Coordinator’s Office--as it relates to the subject matter of an ordinance amending the Minneapolis City Charter to provide for the creation of a new Department of Public Safety--to:
- Prepare an analysis and identify potential departments to be included in this new charter department. Departments and divisions should include but are not limited to:
- Fire Department
- Office of Violence Prevention
- Behavioral Crisis Unit
- Traffic Control
- Crime Prevention Specialists
- Office of Emergency Management
- Departments TBD According to Staff Recommendation
- Provide an analysis on implementation and potential phase-in process for the identified departments:
- Identify keys to successful integration of disparate functions within a single department
- Identify metrics or operational characteristics necessary for successful integration
- Evaluate possible integration of the Minneapolis Police Department
- Propose organizational structure including:
- Potential divisions within the new department to respond to public safety needs
- Staffing needs
- Fiscal Note/Budget
- Leadership and oversight
- Possible authority and oversight roles of Mayor and Council
- Publish the analysis, along with supporting findings, in a written report together with draft language for the proposed charter amendment to be distributed to policymakers and presented formally through the Policy & Government Oversight Committee by no later than Jun 27, 2022, with a public comment period at a subsequent Policy & Government Oversight Committee Meeting.
Reports of Committees
The Reports of Committees portion of the agenda is an opportunity for Council Members to review recommendations coming forward to the next full council meeting for consideration. Reports for each committee are linked to this document below.
Actions referred to Council:
Apr 28, 2022
Next Committee meeting:
May 10, 2022
This meeting may be recorded. Recordings of public meetings are posted for public access through the City’s Legislative Information Management System (LIMS), available at lims.minneapolismn.gov and from the City’s YouTube channel. If you participate in the public meeting, the information you provide may be classified as public data pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act; this could include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Your attendance at the meeting;
- Your name, residential address, email or phone number, or other personal contact details;
- Your comments at the meeting, whether part of a formal hearing or comment period or otherwise; and
- Any submissions you provide before or after the meeting which are included as part of the public record of the meeting.
A portion of this meeting may be closed to the public pursuant to MN Statutes Section 13D.03 or 13D.05.
For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats please contact the City Clerk's Office at 612-673-2216 or e-mail
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.